My final paper is almost done. It's due on Friday, and I feel confident I'll have it done by Wednesday. My last class is this evening... he owes us a makeup class so tonight is scheduled to be 4 hours (6pm-10pm). Soon, I'll be a free(er) man. We're flying out early Friday morning, so there's debate if we will do anything besides packing on Thursday night. I would like to run around the city on Thursday because I don't have to do anything. I'm thinking I want to go to the MOMA or the Whitney, and to see the tree and windows... stuff like that. Fight the tourists! I find an odd joy being in crowded tourist spots.
Now's the time to hangout with me! Well, I'm busy tonight and tomorrow night and probably packing wed. night, but if you want to run around touristy spots with me on Thursday, just say the word... this is a lame public invite to all. When we get back from Florida next Friday the 29th, I'll be free of work until the 2nd, and free of classes until late January, so it will be a great time to invite me over for dinner and games! (I do have some commisioned paintings to do sometime before classes get started back though.)
So Time announced their person of the year: "You". or Us or whatever. While I'm not sure why Time still holds any say in who the person of the year should be, I do believe they got it right. I'm very interested in seeing how user submitted media changes our cultures consumption. Due to the overwhelming amount of media to consume, will we be more careful in what we choose (ultimately requiring "hollywood" to create better work) or will we be lazier in our choices, consuming anything put in front of us. Viral videos are entertaining and viral for a reason, but even I've watched crappy angst ridden films created by highschoolers on youtube merely because they are there to be watched.
And that's my media rant for the day. I don't mean to sound like "I'm getting my masters and I want you to think that I'm smart," I just really find that intersting and think a lot of you do too.
Okay, spell check's not working, so getoverit.
***edit***
My boss says that it is very decadent for Time to choose "You" as the person of the year, which in his mind is choosing entertainment over politics. I believe "you" is inclusive, being open to entertainment, politics, and other realms.
Monday, December 18, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
As I type this you're just over the hump in your 4-hour class. Do you get an intermission?
I think TIME's person of the year should be IGNORANCE AND WANT, those two scary twins buried in the Ghost of Christmas Present's robe-folds in A CHRISTMAS CAROL.
merry christmas!
Post a Comment