So we're taking one!
After years of talking about doing it, we're going to D.C. 5 nights, 6 days of our Nation's capital. We're nerds, so we're excited to see history come to life, our politicians at work, our tax dollars spent on archiving and culture. Perhaps good dining, shows at the Kennedy center and a moonlight tour of the buildings.
Help us plan our itinerary... What would you do?!
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
That will be so fun! Kudos on vacations.
I have only driven through D.C. (twice, I might add) so I would hit the heavy touron parts. I went to a mall in DC when I was there for a conference in college but not the mall. Pathetic, I know (but I had no choice ... can you imagine me trying to navigate DC alone?!)
Arlington Cemetary, Museums, Monuments. Do it all! You may see if they have boat rides on the Patomac. I want to go back someday!
Yeah for vacations!!!!! I would totally recommend the Holocaust Museum. I know Kohli has been there before (our senior trip) but that was my favorite stop. It is very depressing but also very powerful. Hope you guys have a blast!
Block off plenty of time for your favorite one or two Smithsonian buildings (no way you can do them all). I am the only nerd who cares but I went to the Folger Shakespeare library when there and I also "snuck in" to see the main reading room at the Library of Congress (so dorky, right?)! We are planning to go to the Outer Banks, NC this summer so the kid can finally see the ocean!
Actually, the wife is all about seeing the Folger Shakespeare library.
yay! i;ve been to dc once on a whirlwind museum tour one mothers day weekend. the most memorable: the corcoran (there was an excellent works on paper exhibit up, as well as the thesis design student show....which, out of about 18 projects, 6 were done on designers who teach at sva.) and a sculpture garden--but I have no idea where that was!
They offer Segway tours in D.C. I'd rent a couple of effing Segways and do it up.
Spy Museum is supposed to be great... I ran out of time. I enjoyed going to the top of the tower at the Old Post Office (now a mall), cool views & free. I liked the National Gallery & whatever Smithsonian art thingy was attached. Arlington is kinda neat (as far as cemeteries go).
When are you planning on going? We went for the Cherry Blossom Festival which is probably in the first part of May. It was beautiful. Cherry Blossoms are very pretty.
The Kennedy Center has free shows every night. And I liked the American Indian Museum.
I was disappointed by the food. I thought it would be like a big city with all kinds of choices, but it was mostly chains and sort of blah.
I think you guys are going to have a great time. You should go to Ford's Theater and take Kohli's diorama.
I think I'm too late, but around the corner from the Spy Museum is the theater where Lincoln was shot and the nearby hospice where he was rushed before he died.
I like the Native American museum mainly for the food court. Go see the museum you want, then get good grub there! Beats those expensive street hotdogs.
Post a Comment