Saturday, June 03, 2006

Work has been extra stressful for the past two weeks. It continues to be so as I got a phone call from work on this saturday morning. I'm sure I've been a real pain to be around this week as I bring work stress home with me... and everywhere I go. I fear I've lost any passion I had regarding the job and I don't know how to get it back... and that effects all of me.

I'm stuck.

I saw a good film last night lent by the mcmullers... Sherman's March by Ross McElwee. It's a documentary of the personal narrative kind (my favorite).

I have this memory that randomly pops into my head sometimes... at the 2nd annual Tribeca Film Festival my thesis advisor was showing her film Set Set Spike and as a graduation gift she invited me to her screening and Q&A and to sort of shadow her as she did the filmmaker at a festival thing... free gifts and rubbing elbows and all. My advisor also gifted me with a VHS copy of Pigeon (and more) Within, a compilation of her films... I took the gift without telling her that I'd already bought the dvd months before (I later regifted the vhs)... I also never decided how I felt about her giving me her own work as a gift. BACK TO MY MEMORY... after the screening we were outside on the sidewalk talking to people... she was speaking to this balding middle aged man and I began a conversation with his daughter that appeared to be about my age. She was in college studying mathematics or something like that which was odd because her dad, mom, and siblings were all artists. Her dad had an experimental film in the festival that I've never seen, but she did such a great job describing it that I feel I have. Their family lived in the garden apt. of the building that JFK JR. lived in. When Jr. died, everyone swarmed the building, and from their apt., with the shades drawn on their windows, they could see all these legs of people surrounding the building. The father filmed these shadows of legs and that was the film in the festival. The daughter was goofy looking... she had short curly hair, big square glasses and large teeth and she was wearing a t-shirt and skirt and chucks... I remember flirting with her, even though I was dating the woman that is now my charming, lovely wife that will not kill me for noting this.

The car needs an oil change and the dog needs a checkup. I don't feel like doing any of this.

1 comment:

sooprgrll said...

oh will I not kill you?