I went to a dear friend's b-day party tonight with some more dear friends. The cap off to my glorious evening was being the sole witness to a violent mugging. Huzzah! I had to talk to lots of police and got to witness many police and ambulancy things first hand. I have to say that most of the experience was very different than on TV. I definitely was afraid that the ginormous and scary mugger would come after me, but he ran the other way. For that I am grateful. The police caught him minutes later. Congrats officers! My advice for wannabe star sole crime witnesses:
1) Back away from the situation to stay SAFE.
2) Simultaneous to backing away, try to get a good look at the face of the criminal because YOU may be called in to ID them.
3) When it's over stay around the scene of the crime and answer all of the questions the police may have.
4) Don't forget to tell them about a key piece of evidence until after they're gone (like I did, but they came back).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Wow! Where was this mugging, and at what time of day? How far away were you from the mugging? How far away was the closest nearest bystander? What was the almost-forgotten "evidence"? Did you get to talk to the victim? How exactly was it unlike TV? Was the victim a female? Was the mugger a male?
This post reminds me of Jimmy's "911" post (about the woman whose tooth pierced her lip when her face hit the ground).
1. Bond and...State? I had just gotten off the Hoyt-Schermerhorn stop of the A. That was a mistake. It was around 12:40 in the morning.
2. I was 15 feet away.
3. I was the cosest nearest bystander, at 15 feet.
4. A cell phone.
5. Yes, he was very pissed off, shaken and lucid but then he started to forget things. He got the back of his head smashed to the ground and he was bleeding and didn't know it.
6. It was in slow motion (to me). When it happens on TV I tend to feel like I could help or stop it. When this happened I felt helpless and frightened.
7. The victim was a 5'8 male about 30 yeas old. His name was Jason.
8. The mugger was a 6' male of medium build. I was later told by the police that this guy worked in a duo with a woman and the woman was arressted that morning.
The Hoyt-Schermerhorn A stop is pretty far from your house. Why did you get off there?
There's a good coffee shop near that stop: The Victory. There's also a good sandwich shop: Zoila's.
You are right it is very unnear my home. It was very late and I was waiting for the G and I figured it would be best to just hop above ground and catch a car home.
yuck. was bebe with for safety?
Post a Comment