Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I DO love it...

I've spent the last two days trying to decide if I should make fun of this video or be jealous of children today. I came to the conclusion that I love it.




Some of the reasons I love it:

First, Jim Henson is in my top 10 list of artists. That would be a whole post unto itself, but if you don't know much about Henson, you should check him out... not just his muppet work, but all of it. And I think that many of the things that Henson created or worked on in his life have continued to be top quality artistic productions. That would include Sesame Street.

Next, it's really fun and clever. "Chickens back from the shore"... tell me that's not ingenious. you can't.

And the last thing I'll touch on... Feist took the ability to make fun of this video away from me. She's taken her original decent song and saved it from the pop culture disaster it had become by, in a sense, making fun of it herself. She's taking a song about teenage love (perhaps the song itself was already speaking to the silliness that teenage love is) and making it about counting... a grown woman saying she loves counting to 4. She's repurposed this song that was in everyones head, including the 3 year olds that watch Sesame Street, and made it educational fun for the whole family.

Yes. This is what I do on my lunch break.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love it! I like Feist too. Kudos to her. One of my favorite S.S. videos is the one where Johnny Cash sings with Oscar. I think Oscar is probably my favorite resident of Sesame Street. Plus the song makes me laugh. Was it called Nasty Dan?